“So the FCC won’t let me be, or let me be me, so let me see…” – Eminem, “Without Me”
(…Only quote that came to mind about the FCC, plus it was Eminem’s birthday this week, so I think it’s fitting. #nojudgementsplease)
Lately I’ve become much more diligent about watching the morning news every day….and it’s a good thing I have! This Monday, while quickly coiffing my hair, still half-asleep having not yet sipped my first coffee of the day, a startling report caught my attention. Good Morning America (GMA) featured a story about the underestimated amount of dangerous radiation due to cell phone usage, saying that FCC testing of cell phone radiation effects only takes into account 3% of the American population (based primarily on height and weight). Myself being a part of the other 97% (AKA not a 6’2”, 220 lb. man), I started to think about how often I use my beloved iPhone and how little consideration I give to the possible dangers.
“What can I do to lessen the possibility of radiation damage?” …I pondered to myself. Well, I’m not one of those people who can walk around with headphones plugged into their cell talking into the little dangling microphone. It’s just not going to happen…I don’t need to look like a crazy person talking to herself while power walking around Boston. So, if I can’t necessarily do anything about it while I’m out-and-about, maybe there’s a solution for when I’m at home! Luckily, a good friend of mine recently told me about a curious gadget that people like me can use when in the privacy of their own humble abode (or I guess in public, if they really felt the need, and didn’t mind looking #superawk). After searching around a bit, the brand I found to be the most legitimate (and stylish, of course) is the “YUBZ” Retro Handset!
This vintage-looking phone plugs directly into your cell through the headphone jack and… TA-DA! …97% less radiation seeping into your brain. How fun/sensible/genius is that?! This way, you can walk around with your cell in your pocket while chit-chatting on the larger handset, which is easier to hold between your ear and shoulder anyway, making it easier to multitask and reduce possible radiation damage all at the same time. Done and done.
These resourceful gadgets come in an array of cool colors and patterns, arrive in a compact package, and can all be bought online! Couldn’t be easier, people. Definitely take a second to read about YUBZ (“Why You Busy?”)…their story is a nice one with a great brand message.
The Environmental Health Trust Organization is urging the government to begin using more accurate testing methods, such as MRI tests on a variety of real people that would represent a typical family in age, body type, etc. It’s also important to note that there have been no direct links proven between cell phone radiation and cancer, so don’t totally freak yet! There’s no need to stop using your cell (that would just be irrational and, let’s face it, impossible!). Instead, be smart and take steps like this one to keep that sharp mind of yours in tip-top shape.